New idea: Substack but on WordPress

Hey guys,

I’ve been thinking about building a WordPress plugin that gives you substack-like features using WordPress + Mailchimp.

Essentially, publishing a blog on WordPress automatically delivers it as a newsletter to your Mailchimp subscribers. You can set this up in WordPress and don’t have to go into Mailchimp at all, so it really does feel like substack.

This gives you:

• An awesome archive because it’s actually blog posts (rather than the not-so-great mailchimp one)
  • A newsletter with SEO juice
  • A much better web presence with an easy to share URL link for each newsletter
  • It also makes the whole publishing process much more streamlined

In comparison to substack, you get:

• Significantly more control over the design and features of your newsletter.
  • To use your own domain name.
  • Ownership over your platform and list

Anyone here interested in something like that?

It would take at least 2-3 months to be ready, but thought it’d be good to find out if this is something people actually want.And if so, would love to chat more and hear what kind of features you’d like! :pray:

1 Like

Hey Lesley. This idea sounds cool! :slightly_smiling_face:
I have sent your post to the founder of https://zerotomarketing.com/. Let’s see what he will say about it.

oh wow, thanks, alex! :pray:

Do you publish a newsletter yourself?

You are welcome!

Do you publish a newsletter yourself?

I post articles in my WP blog and send announces to my army of 32 subscribers :slight_smile:

Haha I don’t underestimate your small but powerful army for a second! :smile:

Cool, is this plugin something you’ve looked for before? Or are interested in trying?

It’ll be 1-2 months still, but if you’re interested, I could put you down for the beta when it’s ready?

Andrea said he do not want to use WordPress :slight_smile:

I plan to make my own blogging engine and migrate to it in this summer so I’m not your target audience.
I also do not think I want to copy-paste emails to blog posts. Those are just different and should be composed differently. E.g. you can not add video into emails or add code samples etc. Also, I want to drive people to my website rather than reading from a email. I want they to have a habit reading my blog, not the emails, because from a blog I can convert them into something.

Hey Lesley! I love your idea!
Just one question: can it be done with automation tools like Zapier of IFTTT? Can I create a WordPress > Mailchimp Zap to get the same result?

Hey Alexander! Sorry for the super late reply.

Totally get where you’re coming from! You’re totally right about the limitations of email. As with all things, there are tradeoffs. :smile:

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Every comment helps me refine the product and pitch.

Hey Jack!

It probably can be done with Zapier or IFTTT… I’ve never thought about it, to be honest? :thinking:

I guess the difference is that there are a bunch of customisations and features that we build in, which can’t easily be replicated by Zapier/IFTTT. The automation might also cause some unforeseen problems (like unwanted emails being sent, or important emails not getting sent), which is an issue if you have a large list and popular newsletter.

In case you’re interested, I’ve written more about what I’m building, why I’m building it and who it’s for over here. I’d love for you to read it if you’re interested in the concept. :smile:

1 Like

It probably can be done with Zapier or IFTTT… I’ve never thought about it, to be honest? :thinking:

I think it would be useful for you to try to set up this process with Zapier. So do not neglect it :slight_smile:
You need to know your competitor. You may learn how to do it better. Or learn how not to do and use it in your marketing message.

In case you’re interested, I’ve written more about what I’m building, why I’m building it and who it’s for over here. I’d love for you to read it if you’re interested in the concept. :smile:

Inspiring read! Subscribed. I never wrote any newsletters but I felt like I want to start one ha-ha!
The biggest problem to me is that I’m afraid not one will read my stories. How do I deal with this?

Idea: I think you can become an advocate or newsletters: teach people how to launch their own newsletter, how to earn money on it, how to grow it etc. It will help Newsletter Glue to grow!

Thanks Jack! Really glad that you liked my writing. Actually reminds me that I’m meant to send out the next post!

I’d love to do that, actually… But there’s already so much I’m trying to do. I don’t think further diluting my time at this point would be the wisest move. Perhaps some day in the future.

There are many people teaching others how to write newsletters right now. Joshua Spector is someone that comes to mind.

1 Like

Yeah, I can understand. You must be very busy. Sorting priorities is a tricky thing, so I’m glad you know how do it properly!

P.S.: You inspired me to launch my own newsletter: https://buttondown.email/jwillson :grinning: Thank you, Lesley!

1 Like